Sunday, March 06, 2005

A Precipitous Plunge

I awoke from a powerful dream Saturday morning.

I had been on a long journey, accompanied much of the time by many people, among them a very special woman, and near the end I boarded a bus full of people whose faces I could not see, and I got off on a high stone bridge, overlooking a pond far below. Then I seemed to be riding in a pushcart or something, but as I crossed the bridge I was suddenly pushed in the cart over the edge to the pond far below.

Immediately, I freed myself from the cart and prepared myself to hit the water. I knifed deep into the pond, afraid I would smash into the bottom, and just as skulls and bones on the floor of the pond came into view I finally stopped plunging, reversed, and headed towards the surface. As I did that I became aware that the water was as greasy as a soul food kitchen sink.

I burst back into the air dripping with oil.

At the side of the pond was a high wall of boulders like those of a jetty at the seashore, and I swiftly climbed them back to the top. There I met my oldest brother, or someone like him in a wheelchair, and he gave me something odd - it was a square, shallow box with what looked like a tongue stretched out and caught in a mousetrap, and then he pointed me ahead, across another walkway, and told me to follow that down along the river.

As I mulled it over later on, I kept trying to recall the woman, and I could remember dreaming of her before, of her lush breasts and warm embrace and making love to her several times, of loving her and not wanting to leave her, but as in the dream, I was swept along in the tide of humanity down the old cobbled streets.



Years ago, my heart wrote a poem that said,

All desires rise and fall;
At the low ebb of desire
the ocean waits;
The current pushes outward,
attachments fall.

Life sweeps us away, sooner or later, from the things we love. But it doesn't have to drown or diminish us, not if we struggle for the light, for reason, for purpose, and not if we have the humility to listen, to be gently guided by the friends and other currents in our lives.

I face a gentle denouement as events surrounding ERHC Energy come to an inevitable turning point. Soon we will know what we have won, if we have won. We will see where this fierce and loving journey of change and challenge will leave us.

In a few days, like many of my fellow travelers whoses faces I can only know from their hastily written words and comments here and on the message boards, I will likely disembark at a high, distant place and head for a new one. That is the way the current is pushing me, and I would be a fool not to let it do so.

All good things come to an end, do they not? And so will come an end, high or low, to my journey with ERHC.

Through coups and catastrophes, through peaks and plunges and valleys and plains, we have traveled a path through a world new to us, and arrived in a far, far safer place than the one we left.

As we part, a few days or weeks or months from now, I will remember many people fondly, for small favors and fine compliments, and have bad memories of just one or two - and even those I will forgive and forget, because doing otherwise would only slow my journey.

I have far to go, and much to do, and I will always miss you, all of you, very much. Thank you for sharing this perilous and very promising journey with me.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

hic

Anonymous said...

So is the SEC going to investigate you or did you just get some really good stuff over the weekend?

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Hope you didn't get a bad report from the doctor. I hope all is well even if I don't agree with eveything you write.

I hope our journey, for some longer than others, will be to the top of the mountain.

CC

Anonymous said...

Joe,
A touching article from a spiritual person. Wish you the very best wherever you might go from here.

Anonymous said...

Joe,

I've been a long with ERHC since 1999. I was thrilled to find your blog site because I had just about given up on the bashers and the roler coaster ride of the posters on the RB board. It just got too time consuming to try to wade through tons of trivia for a few pearls of information. You seem to have accurate info delivered in a no nonense manner.
This last post was a little far out --maybe spring (or snow)is in the air in upstate NY.
Anyway juat wanted to say that I'm grateful for your web site.

Mike (o2tangoagn)

Anonymous said...

Joe...I never agreed with anything you ever wrote or said on this Blog,...but for some reason,that I can't explain,even deep within myself....You will be missed.

Walldog

Anonymous said...

Stay the course Joe as you`ve added valuable reading for many readers and will have a lot to offer in the near future.

If it`s other than your investment in ERHE, you`ll deal with it as it comes about.

Best Regards, Spiker53

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you Joe in your new endeavors.

Anonymous said...

Sounds To Me Like While The Rest Of Us Are Sailing Off To The Caribbean, You're Gonna Get Off The Ship And Row Back To Shore. I don't think you know the REAL potential of this stock. But good luck to ya. RubyMartin

Anonymous said...

What happened, did your wife cash that check you wrote prior to the last award postponement?

Anonymous said...

ByeJo

Anonymous said...

Well Joe, I hope you have your health as well as the loved ones around you and this is not the/a contributing factor to your departure.

Otherwise, a "posted text" defection by you now is pure shaeism and why you would decide to bail-out at this time before Awards and in anticipation of your touting of a March, $6 buyout perfects itself, is just yet another "joe-nonsense".

Where you gonna run to now joe......Good luck.

TiburonTim

Anonymous said...

Joe: You are not the type of person I would share a fox-hole with! To you I say...Via Con Dios MRKEN

...Joe Shea said...

I want to thank all of you who have written in. Your notes have lifted and refreshed me. I wish I could repay you with a new burst of good news, and I'm sure that's just a short time away - and Mr. Ken, I won't finish the blog until they come.

I especially want to thank Walldog for his comments. I regret any harsh words I sent your way, Frank.

You know, the great thing about my dream was that at the lowest point, there was a discovery - oil, and plenty of it. No matter what comes, I hope all of you who can appreciate the irony will remember that fact.

Thanks again, everyone. You're the greatest!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you Joe. Though I never bought into your $6 per share buyout theory, a part of me would be extremely pleased if it happens this month!!! Hopeful_Investor

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you Joe. Though I never bought into your $6 per share buyout theory, a part of me would be extremely pleased if it happens this month!!! Hopeful_Investor

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you Joe. Though I never bought into your $6 per share buyout theory, a part of me would be extremely pleased if it happens this month!!! Hopeful_Investor

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you Joe. Though I never bought into your $6 per share buyout theory, a part of me would be extremely pleased if it happens this month!!! Hopeful_Investor

Anonymous said...

Hey joe where you going to go?

Down Mexico way?

Peace Rollingthunder

Anonymous said...

Joe; I don't understand the goodbye, but if thats where things are leading than I guess let it be so, remember what I said before forgive and forget and move on Godspeed


Dig.

Anonymous said...

COme on Joe, you can't quit when we are sooooooo close to the d-day. This is the week many of us have been waiting for since how many years??? your blog is a nice alternative to all the junk on RB.

Anonymous said...

I wish I was a swing trader because the pattern for ERHE is always the same. It drops on Monday and Tuesday and rises on Thursday and Friday. It seems this pattern occurs every week.

Anonymous said...

ERHE always seems to drop on Monday and Tuesdays and rise on Thursday and Fridays.

Anonymous said...

row row row your boat
gently down the stream
life is but a dream

Anonymous said...

Joe...I fought the Vietnam War as a young kid of twenty.We were thrust into a strange world,poorly trained,and taught that our enemy was a ragtag band of malcontents.

After engaging the Vietcong,a few times,usually when he choose the time and place,I quickly learned who the actual ragtag band of malcontents were...it was us!

My enemy could live under ground on a bag of rice for a month,make 8 bullets seem like a thousand,travel 40 miles before sunset and disappear.

Instead of hating him,I began to love and admire him,he was a perfect fighting machine....I saw him for what he really was,a Warrior...and I respected him completely for it.

I have never forgotten that lesson,it saved my life and several others as well many times.

From one Warrior to another!

Walldog